Thursday, June 4, 2009

classroom behavior

Wednesday June 3rd, 2009

Thursdays use to be my long days, now Wednesdays are a close second. I leave the apartment at 7:45am to make it to my 8:30am class. I take a collectivo now, it gets me closer to my destination. So far, each time I've taken the bus on Wednesday, I get a seat and spend my commute reading (it was a good book this week).

I taught for 6 hours straight, well, not quite. One student canceled, so I just read in the lobby for one hour; it was a nice break.

A Wednesday student of mine always surprises me with a new inappropriate comment. In the U.S. I would never let him get away with his behavior (comments that are usually sexual in nature...and not hinting around either), but I've learned many...many things are different in this culture. Personal space nearly doesn't exist, men cat-call on the streets like it's their job and the list could go on. So, it's difficult for me to tell where the line is when it comes to my job. I guess that is up to me.

Today's comment of the day was this. He asked me if I had a cold. I told him no, then he said, well, you should sleep with clothes on so you don't catch a cold. I gave him a look and he laughed saying oh it's a joke. I still gave him a look, something like, why are you telling me this. he continued to say, well you know, after you have sex you're hot so you fall asleep without the covers and that is how you catch a cold. I asked him if he spoke like this to all his co-workers and he said yes, he's very casual at work....

I can't wait to hear what he has to say next week.

When I was finished teaching I left the office and walked past a sushi take-out place. I noticed a sign advertising 12 pieces for 18 pesos, so I got it to-go. I just sat on a bench, near the harbor and ate my sushi..which I must say was good.

Around 3pm I got on the subte (different line than mine) to go teach 3 private students. I rode the subte to the end; about a half hour ride. When I got off, I met the father of my new 3 teenage students. I taught the boys at their house while their father was in the other room. We had a good first class. Afterward I took a train to the subte to go back to my apartment. When I was on the subte I laughed out loud to myself; My 3 teenage boys were better behaved than my 35 year old student.

I ended my day at 6pm and then at 8:30pm I met a friend for sushi. (yes, more sushi). Normally I don't spend a lot of money on going out to eat, but with my recent eating issue I don't mind spending money on eating.

money spent today
1.20 pesos colectivo to work
18 pesos
($4.90) for 12 pieces of sushi ($4.90)
7 pesos ($1.90) for a bottle of diet coke
1.10 pesos for subte to teach
0.80 for train to my subte line
1.10 pesos for subte home
40 pesos ($10.81) for a large plate of sushi
7 pesos
($1.90) for a diet coke
3 pesos for cubierto (service)
10 ($2.70) pesos for hot tea

2 comments:

jenna said...

that guy should be punched in the brain.
casual doesn't equal crass. what a butthead.

yillabean said...

I agree!

You know, if the lessons took place in my apartment, a coffee shop or in a conference room alone, I think I would feel more uncomfortable and try to stop his behavior. Instead, the classes take place in his cubical, next to his managers office and in front of his cube sits his girlfriend! I'm not sure if she knows English, but I'm sure she knows his personality, or at least I hope she does.

It's not that I'm offended by his behavior but I'm rather amused that he says such off the wall things each week without fail. I always point out that it doesn't sound very good in English, but he doesn't seem to mind.