Wednesday, February 4, 2009

$3.75 an hour

after meeting with a conversation exchange friend this morning i went on a job interview for a teaching position at a well known language school here.

i arrived on time for the interview, but was told they were running behind schedule so i walked around and returned 15 min later. the interviewer conducted the interview; some small talk, my theories on teaching, their theories on teaching, their structure, their scheduling, bla bla bla. 1/2 hour later (or 45 min later because of the delay) the interviewer tells me the wage.

13 pesos per hour. that's $3.75 an hour.

i think this time i let my jaw drop. this language school has a reputation of paying low wages, but i didn't think it would be that low. she tried telling me not to do it for the salary, do it because i love it. "ok, this is a true statement, but i would rather give my time volunteering than to have her company making 3 or 4 times my salary on me."

i fully understood by moving here and teaching english that the salary would be low and i accept that, but when they are paying 1/2 of what other schools are paying....no gracias.

1 comment:

curator of cute said...

Wow! i love how the school used the 'don't do it for the money, do it cause you love it' explanation :P