Sunday, January 4, 2009

the best gay breakfast

Saturday January 3, 2009
This morning I met up with a friend for a BA breakfast (coffee & 3 medialunas). Afterward, we walked to Plaza Serrano to look in some stores. The first time I went there, I didn't go into any of the shops, this time we went into most of them. I behaved, I didn't buy anything... ohh, shoot I lie. I bought a simple white top because the one I own has a stain on it. (my justification to myself). White shirt 35 pesos ($10)

* Exchange rate changed again. It's now at 3.45 Argentine pesos for 1 U.S. dollar

During our walk I was inspired to take photos of the house numbers on the sides of the buildings. They're very 'typical Buenos Aires'. (*see post below, on January 3rd)

Here are some more from the Plaza Serrano neighborhood...

IMG_0563

IMG_0569

(photo below: "Vuelve" means "He returns")

IMG_0577

In the evening, another friend asked me if I wanted to get a drink at a converted mansion in Recoleta. We met up at 10 and headed over, via colectivo (bus). It was a bit pricier than I anticipated. A cosmopolitan martini was 25 pesos ($7) and we shared a 35 peso tapas ($10). Yes, it is inexpensive for U.S. standards and if I were working I would not worry, but I should be worrying, since there is no peso income at the moment.

(photo below: We sat outside, in the private garden. This is the mansion from the back. It was very beautiful and quite)

IMG_0604

More friends arrived, then more drinks arrived (none for me), then a drunk Scotish guy interrupted our conversation, no one understood him, more drinks arrived and then 3:30am arrived. I said I wanted to take the colectivo home, but others said it wasn't safe and they didn't want me to take it by myself, so I stayed on board until 4:30am arrived. How did I do it? I have no idea!

Are you asking yourself, "what time do the bars in Bs.As. close"? I don't know. I haven't stayed out late enough yet. I'll be sure to post when I see the bartenders flipping the lights on and off and yelling out "last call".

Sunday January 4, 2009
Remarkably I woke up at 11am, showered and met a friend at 1:15pm. We took the subte (subway) to the street market (which is every Sunday) in San Telmo. Today was very hot (88 degrees). I had a cafe to go to in mind, because we both didn't eat breakfast, but the cafe was closed for vacation. We walked around and she spotted red table umbrellas and... ah-ha...there was a cafe, a cute one too. The male waiters were cute, but I wondered why they wore little sailor hats. Once the waiter gave us the menu the name of the cafe, "Pride cafe", tipped me off that it was a gay cafe. The breakfast was amazing! My favorite so far. The coffee was good, the display was beautiful, the fruit was fresh and the waiters were cute. coffee - 7 pesos, fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal 10 pesos, water 5 pesos, one medialuna (it's a must!) 2 pesos. Total - 24 pesos ($7)

(photo below: my breakfast this morning. sorry, no pictures of the cute waiters. p.s. that is not a shot glass, well maybe it is but it's just a small...ok it's a shot glass, but just of sparkeling water. This is commonly given when you order coffee. I'm told you are to drink it before your coffee to cleanse your palet)

IMG_0608

Walking around the market was fun. I didn't buy anything else. I did look for a present, but didn't find what I was looking for. My friend bought some art for her bedroom. Oh wait, I did buy helado. 5 pesos for a small coconut and vanilla ice cream. ummmmm

(photo below: taken in my neighborhood)

IMG_0633

No comments: